Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Little Victories

Working with the earth can be so soothing.  Pulling weeds, clearing away the groundcover that has accumulated over the late fall, winter, and early spring, revealing a bare canvas waiting to be filled with color.

I have a whole bunch of areas filled with weeds.  When I look at them all, at all the work I have to do, I get overwhelmed and feel defeated.  Today I concentrated on one little area, the corner of my backyard.  Up came the dandelions and all other manner of unwanted greenery.  I turned over the earth, disturbing a host of little creatures that scurried out of my way.  That corner received rain this afternoon and was ready for the snapdragons I planted there.

There are many other areas of my yard that need the same attention and work.  Instead of focusing on all I need to do, bemoaning the lack of time and energy, I choose to focus on this one corner, this little victory.  If I can do this in all areas of my life, I will be a much happier human being.






No comments:

Post a Comment